Monday, July 11, 2005

First day back at work

Today was the first day back at work for me and many other city workers since the bombings last thursday morning
I was a little bit more anxious than usual as I boarded the C2C rail service to Fenchurch St.
The atmosphere inside the train also seemed quite tense, usually most people avert their eyes from others but today there was a lot of fellow passenger scanning going on and some suspicious stares.
This could also be due to the fact that many of these people getting off at Fenchurch St were quite close to the Aldgate train bomb last week and they knew it.

I said in my previous post that I thought the tube incident at Aldgate was a Circle line train (I actually said Aldgate East station which is 50m from Aldgate station but they are on different lines). Well it was certainly a circle line train, coming out of Liverpool St enroute to Aldgate when it blew up - next stop after Aldgate was Tower Hill where I was about to catch it to work.
It blew up just after leaving Liverpool St at around 8:51 - as I was arriving at Fenchurch St.
Then as I made the 4 minute walk to Tower Hill they closed Tower Hill station.
I don't know why I didn't try to set off for Aldgate station, because it is the closest tube station to Tower Hill, but instead I eventually decided on London Bridge which is twice the distance in a south-westerly direction.

So it started off a more stressful journey than usual but by the time I had jumped on the tube at Tower Hill, everything felt pretty normal again.

On a much brighter note, Meredith is arriving back in London tomorrow night. That will be great, I know she has had a lovely time back home and I have organised some nice things for her to do in London.
I had staff/family/friends tickets to go and see the diamonds exhibition at the Natural History Museum tomorrow night. But with Meredith coming home then, I managed to exchange them for Friday night tickets instead. It will be a great evening, you can read about the exhibition here (http://www.nhm.ac.uk/diamonds/exhibition.html).
In the VIP lounge are some truly awesome diamonds including the 200 carat Millenium Star, the 60 carat Steinmetz Pink, 5 carat Moussaieff Red plus other amazing diamonds.
I hope Meredith doesn't like them too much, they are a bit beyond my budget at this stage.

Anyway, gotta go, chat later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home